An easy recipe because its possibilities to modify to your own taste!
October usually brings pumpkins to the mind. Maybe because of their market seasonality or because the Halloween is behind the corner. Both.  Therefore I wanted to purchase one small pumpkin and use it as a decoration. But because of the small amount of meat which was left behind, I had to come up something where to use it. Few cups of coffee smoothie sounded exiting to give a try. Before getting into work, some digging for information was needed.
   Before you follow  instructions, I want you to know that feel free to change the recipe according to your own taste. I tried Internet and found recipes related to pumpkin spice, less for the raw pumpkin itself. So nothing is written into rock.

img_0400_edited
   
  The amounts and ingredients are only directive. For example, I myself used coconut flavored soy yogurt in exchange for plain yogurt. I still recommend to use mild or not strongly flavored as the coffee is the primary, and any exotic could possibly have fun combination. My honey was also flavored with ginger but I used if fewer to avoid too tangy savor.  Feel free to modify the recipe, as I said earlier.

  Keep in mind how strong you want it to be. In my version, the taste of coffee was more strong. So if you want it to be softer and sweeter, add more yogurt. The dairy will also make it sweeter  but more likely lightens the taste. 
  Also thinks about the texture. Do you want it to be Ruth's smooth smoothie or more liquid (I don't know what the earlier was).  
  More flavoring can be added also if you want more sweetness.







Can you eat raw pumpkins?
  What I sorted out - yes. But it can be tasteless and hard to eat or cause some people allergic reactions and because of it's fibrous texture - maybe - hard stomach as it is hard to digest.   But I myself used it as raw as I possibly could have done it (to be honest, I feel it wasn't fresh enough yet, haha!) But I didn't prepare this as it's nutritionally-dense food and contains a lot of vitamin A.
  As some maybe have heard, cooking can reduce nutritional contents. But then there is always the opposite perspective waiting behind the corner.  Maybe this depends of the ingredient and the way of its processing. If I had wanted to have it somehow handled, I would have put it into a oven for a while. I would imagine it gets a little bit sweeter in the side of warming and softening.
And If you are really interested... Stop to think this question: are pumpkins, vegetables, fruits, berries, seeds, or what.   ;)
Did you try this and did you change it to your taste? How come?
P.S. I feel like becoming like one of those mothers on their forties when they start their DIY/recipe etc. blogs, jaja




No comments: