Oh the possibilities here

Oh, the rush! This week has been a real hustling as first getting accustomed to the new environment and culture. The amount of kisses and food, haha! I have maybe three posts in progress but haven't had much time to finish them. Or then maybe I'm just too fusspot of creating blog post pleasing to me. I realized that I now I don't have so much time to create long, well-detailed posts. Pity.

  On Friday day I attended into my host mother's work day in primary school. This is the time of the year of Castanyada, a very traditional festival in Catalonia. Here this is kind of replaced with Halloween. I was invited to arrive for the lunch with teachers to their meeting room  to celebrate and get familiarized with teachers and the Catalan school.
   The best moment was maybe when I was introduced to the master chef on the balcony. My yawn dropped of amaze and amusement when I saw that they were grilling three-metre long sausage, but cut and wrapped in a a smaller circles. And those astonishing sized slices of bread! With that I could have covered my face to play hide and seek.
https://illustrationsketchbook.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/panellets.jpg


  The wide board was full of different kinds of food  related to this special day called Castanyada. Various kinds of traditional pizzas made of puff pastry, sweet pastries flavored with coconut, stone pine, citrus, etc...  This dish was called Panellets and was enjoyed with aromatic and fruity alcohol called Moscatell,  made by muscat grape.  Also sweet potato preserved in the folio wrap.

 However, the most recognizable character were Castanyas, chestnuts , witch are roasted and later wrapped in the newspaper. Commonly street vendors prepare them hot toasted and sell them on the streets. And this is very delicious.
All the children gathered on school's backyard, made a circle on the track and sang danced few songs, waving their their hands along the song. At the end, all we got wrap of chestnuts and a big piece of batter.cake and few pieces of chocolate. The idea is that parents wait children otside and when the food arrives, the family has their own moment for their kid's eating.
In Sunday evening it might be that I'll be eating one kilo as we are celebrating this festival.

Bona Castanyada!

No comments: